Friday 2 September 2011

Virus Art

I've been felled in the last week due to a difficult to shake off little virus. I guess the crazy schedule last week caught up with me and I've spent most of this week admiring my bedding from intimate distance. As such I have a new respect for the little buggers and was keen to find out who else might be interested and how they are perceived. I bumped into some artwork by Luke Jerram. He's also concerned with our perception of viruses and along with a virologist at the University of Bristol and some talented glassblowers has been working to transform electron microscope pictures into something more tangible.


The results are pretty but represent some of the deadliest critters known to man. Also some of the most intriguing since the jury is still out as to whether these are living organisms at all.

HIV virus

SARS virus

Swine-flu virus


No comments:

Post a Comment